Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer 2010 Sneak Peak

So I had this idea that I could create a blog off my personal website that I did last fall. Of course that is a lot harder than what I thought and with most personal websites the blogs are just separate links. So wala here we are. Im going to share a lot of what I find as a student struggling to grow up, find a job, make money, leave home etc etc in this century and economic downturn. I am not finding it easy and figured others thought just the same. I also will share with you my struggles with bringing a horse to college and trying to network in the equestrian world where you are only important when you know someone.

So to start off...and I know my fellow architecture classmates will agree with me that it seems literally every architecture firm is simply not building and thus not hiring. Which leaves all of us in tough spots because unlike medical school the college of design rarely pays for anything never the less tuition which in turn leaves us no choice but to make money over the summer and during the school year. And as the saying goes its the first job that is the hardest because everyone wants experience yet, no one is willing to give us any. I wonder what will happen in 10-20 years when this generation of architects start to retire and my generation is the work force. However we will have limited experience and anyone can tell you there is a lot more to being an architect than school teaches you (probably why we have to do 3 years interning after 6 yrs of school)

On the plus side, there is a firm here in Lexington called CMW, and they specialize specifically in equestrian related design. Which is EXACTLY what I wish to pursue. On the downside they are not hiring and seem to have no projects despite the World Equestrian Games coming to Lexington in less than 150 days. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that in 2 yrs when the real world looms that they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment