Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Career Goals?

So today I started my first day at an internship at the Kentucky Horse Council. I am taking a hit financially by doing this- because the internship is unpaid and in my opinion slave labor when they are getting the "knowledge and experience" of a college grad- but oh well. The 3 people who work there are super nice and have been very understanding that my main goal with this is to network. We all agreed that in the horse world in order to get anywhere you need to know someone. So when im not looking up counties in KY or fixing their website, hopefully I'll be going to meetings and meeting people who later on might be able to help me with my career.

On a side note: I am making a lot of all the equestrian architecture firms I have found over the last 2 years of hopeless internships. Some of the firms are in DC like Blackburn, which I would DIE to work at and others more out west. CMW is here in Lexington and a few are back home in the Northeast. (not sure how I would feel about moving BACK to CT even if it was for my dream job) I know that in 2 years I need to be ready to accept any and all job offers and be willing to move wherever, even if its cold and I hate the place. So Im getting ready to e-mail a few of the firms and ask how they themselves got started in the business that way in two years I can full on harass them. Sounds like a great plan to me. Also one of the architects from Blackburn has a blog for equestrian architecture- really awesome, go check it out and maybe one day you'll be seeing my designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment